Everyone has to read in school. We gain the knowledge we need to know for nearly every subject from books. But sometimes that means being extremely bored for hours at a time. Reading books for classes you might have no interest in can be hard. It makes it especially difficult to focus and take in the information given. I’ve come up with a few tips to try out when another reading is assigned and the boredom sets in.
- Don’t procrastinate- a difficult one for every student. Putting off a boring assignment is definitely a problem of my own and I know I’m not alone there. Next time you know a reading is due, make a note to finish it 2 days before class so you won’t be stressed about it the night before or even the morning of.
- Make a goal. Once you know the date a reading assignment is due, make a goal of finishing a certain number of pages every day. Maybe try reading 5 pages a night right before you go to bed. You’ll finish that chapter in no time!
- Take a break. Every 5 to 10 pages, do something you enjoy. Watch 10 minutes of your show on Netflix or do 10 minutes of another assignment. Taking breaks will allow you to focus on the information you’re reading.
- Re-read. If you read a sentence that went straight over your head, don’t keep reading. Take a minute to re-read the sentence and fully understand it before moving on to the next.
- Take notes. Writing can help you remember what happened in the chapter. Try making an outline or using sticky notes to write what you thought was especially important to remember.